Wednesday 15 August 2012

God of miracles 6 - “little gods”

John 10:33-40 (AMP)

33 The Jews replied, We are not going to stone You for a good act, but for blasphemy, because You, a mere Man, make Yourself [out to be] God.
34 Jesus answered, Is it not written in your Law, I said, You are gods?

I listened to a teaching once, by a very prominent teacher of the Word. He said that we are created in God’s image and we have His righteousness and Spirit, and we are therefore as His children “little gods” and I outright rejected the teaching as being blasphemous.

I have obviously read the book of John before, but I never noticed this part...”Is it not written in your Law, I said, You are gods?” – this is Jesus confronting the Pharisees about the same issue I had, and Jesus corrects them by quoting the Old Testament.

35 So men are called gods [by the Law], men to whom God’s message came—and the Scripture cannot be set aside or cancelled or broken or annulled—
36 [If that is true] do you say of the One Whom the Father consecrated and dedicated and set apart for Himself and sent into the world, You are blaspheming, because I said, I am the Son of God?
37 If I am not doing the works [performing the deeds] of My Father, then do not believe Me [do not adhere to Me and trust Me and rely on Me].
38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe Me or have faith in Me, [at least] believe the works and have faith in what I do, in order that you may know and understand [clearly] that the Father is in Me, and I am in the Father [One with Him].

How are we to distinguish between all the options given to us in the realm of spiritualism? Jesus says here that we should not listen to someone who is just saying the right things; we should listen to the ones who bring the Word and back it up with God’s power. We as humans where never meant to be worshiped; we where created to worship God and God alone. But as His children we have an inheritance that separates us from every other religion on earth - His Power, His Spirit. God never prophesied that there would be a time when raw facts and no Power will be the test of real faith! Just the opposite, the Word says that there will be an increase of the supernatural in the last days.

Acts 2:17

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, God declares, that I will pour out of My Spirit upon all mankind, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy [telling forth the divine counsels] and your young men shall see visions (divinely granted appearances), and your old men shall dream [divinely suggested] dreams.

Mark 16:17-19

17 And these attesting signs will accompany THOSE who believe: in My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new languages;

18 They will pick up serpents; and [even] if they drink anything deadly, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will get well.

19 So then the Lord Jesus, after He had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and He sat down at the right hand of God.

If Jesus only wanted the founding Apostles to do miracles when they preached, (as some denominations argue), why did He not say:
“And these attesting signs will accompany YOU standing here now, or those who plant my church in the early days, or you My beloved disciples who believe”

I do not believe that Jesus made a mistake in using such a general term as "those". We serve a supernatural God, with a supernatural message, and if we don’t “bring the power”...people will hear us but they will not understand.

Reading the Bible without being filled with the Holy Spirit is like watching a 3D movie without the glasses - sure you will get the just of it, (even enough to go to heaven), but you will miss out on secret messages and hidden signs from before the dawn of time, waiting to be understood!

Acts 28:26-27

26 Go to this people and say to them, You will indeed hear and hear with your ears but will not understand, and you will indeed look and look with your eyes but will not see [not perceive, have knowledge of or become acquainted with what you look at, at all].
27 For the heart (the understanding, the soul) of this people has grown dull (stupid, hardened, and calloused), and their ears are heavy and hard of hearing and they have shut tight their eyes, so that they may not perceive and have knowledge and become acquainted with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their souls and turn [to Me and be converted], that I may heal them.

I will leave you with this question...

John 10:21

21 Others argued, These are not the thoughts and the language of one possessed. Can a demon-possessed person open blind eyes?

2 comments:

  1. Very true. We say it ourselves; "I am a child of God." Well, what does that mean?

    Offspring of an animal or plant is according to its kind. In other words, you are like that, which gave you life. This is exactly what will make salvation according to John 3:3 make sense. This is also the factor that upsets the world. This is why evolutionist try to disprove that God created the world.

    "Jesus answered and said to him, Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." John 3:3 (NKJV)

    When you are born of man, you are a son of Adam. Adam fell (Gen. 3:23) and gave this earth/world system to satan's control. When you are "born again" according to John 3, you are born of God, of His kind. This makes you a child of God and therefore, a "little God".

    However we are NOT to be worshiped or served. We are not Deity or God. I think it's better to say we are of the God-Kind, rather than to say "little Gods".

    In the same way being a Christian is being a Christ-One or a Christ-Kind. Again, one can say "we are all little Christ's" or "little anointed ones" which will be more accurate as we know Christ means "anointed one".

    "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To..." Luke 4:18 (NKJV)

    "I have been crucified with Christ (anointed one); it is no longer I who live, but Christ (anointed one) lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Gal. 2:20 (NKJV)

    Let me finish off the comment with what a "Man of God" once told me. "You are here to serve me, because if I serve Christ and you serve me, then you are serving Christ." I don't agree with that and it sends shivers up my spine.

    "Then Jesus said to him, Away with you, Satan! For it is written, You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him ONLY you shall serve." Matt. 4:10 (NKJV)

    Yes we need to serve one another through our gifts and talents that God gave us, but "servant hood" I guess is for another blog post.

    Keep on writing Zaan. It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ps.Coenie! I am intrigued by your comment on "serving man versus serving God". Paul said that his congregation should imitate him...He did not say that they should serve him in order to serve God. This idea to me is the same trap the Catholic church fell into. They ended up with a bunch of "positions and humans" standing between the "followers and God". This interrupts the intimacy of the relationship between God and Man. Satan knows that we are vulnerable when our relationship with God is dependent on fallible men in stead of Christ who is perfect!

    ReplyDelete