Wednesday 23 January 2013

Talking to God about Take-Aways and Caves

I admit to the fact that I am a complete Word Nerd

I have discovered that the more I read my Bible the more questions I have and the more questions I have the more amazing answers I find. I have even thought in the silence of my bedroom that, if I could choose my own life and make my own plans, I would choose to sit in a cave somewhere and analyze every word the Bible contains until I have exhausted every level of its meaning, but then I discovered an exhaustive concordance and the urge passed to a certain degree…

A funny moment

When I had just started reading my Bible with the advantage of revelation, I just could not get enough Word in me so I became a little OCD and carried my Bible everywhere, just in case I found a moment to read.

So one day I realized that I had been running around like a headless chicken and felt so hungry around noon, after skipping breakfast, that I decided to get myself a pizza. Whilst waiting for my pizza I sat reading my Bible in the Take-away and just as I got to an amazingly interesting part somewhere between Deuteronomy and Song of Solomon, the stupid pizza was done and my running had to commence again.

As I walked out of the Take-away with my pizza in my one hand and my enormous Bible in the other, I looked up to heaven and said to God: “Don’t You just want to lock me in a cave until I finished reading this Book?” and as I did this I felt God smiling at my freakish behaviour.

I got into my car and realized that I probably didn’t have enough cash on me for the parking meter attendant. I opened my wallet and there it was… R2.75 stacked from the largest to the smallest coin one on top of the other, ready for me to just hand it over.
I smiled and laughed out loud and I asked God if He had done this because of my crazy “cave comment”.

It was the end of the month and my hubby had asked me to get 3 months bank statements from FNB and I realized that the bank would be a madhouse. I only had 6 minutes to go into the bank before I would be late picking up my kids from school.

As I drove past the bank, there was a parking spot right in front of the bank, in the shade. Just too amazing to resist, I ran in to see if I could (now with only 5 minutes left), get those bank statements. The line at the information desk was around “20 people long” with just 2 ladies on duty and I saw a gap to run up to one of the seated consultants. She told me that she could not help me and that the “20 people” line was my only hope.

I considered running out the bank when a little voice convinced me to just get into the line. I stood there for no longer than 30 seconds when the bank manager came out of his office and asked if anybody needed to have bank statements printed… bank statements printed?

That’s not normal…usually they ask, “Who has cheques to deposit?” I was the only one who put up my hand. The irony is that he took me to the same consultant who told me that it could not be done and instructed her to print them for me. I was out of there in less than 5 minutes. I felt like I was on a joyride through town with my invisible friend helping me. So now you know why I like joking about reading the Bible in a cave.

Since then I’ve learned to balance my love for my God my family and my church without neglecting any one of the 3 and I just indulge in the moments God speaks to me about His Word and when He gives me fresh manna (Word) to play with, to learn from as well as to implement in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment